Monday, February 22, 2010

Aftershock this morning

At 4:36am today we were all jolted awake by a few-second-long 4.7-rated aftershock. I stayed in my tent outside. No damage seems to have occurred. I'm sure this was pretty scary for all the people who went through the big one.

Yesterday was a great Sunday. After going to some of the Nazarene service, I walked to the LDS chapel and enjoyed a full service there, packed with many hundred Haitians. A group of 30 American LDS doctors and nurses had arrived there and are running an urgent care clinic and some surgeries out of the church this week. We were able to exchange some supplies and obtain some valuable meds we've been needing, including anti-malarial and anti-scabies medicines. They were happy to share their tetanus vaccines, which is like gold here, with us and store them in our fridge, since they don't have any 24-hour refrigeration at the church.

It was again eye-opening to walk through the city and see how people are living and all the overwhelming destruction everywhere. The Haitians all looked amazingly well-groomed and neat for Sunday despite sleeping on the streets and not having any running water or other modern amenities.

Last night I had a great time harmonizing with the Mennonites singing lots of nice hymns a capella in parts. What wonderful people.

Today I have new partners for the clinic here: an OB/GYN doctor and an RN. Should be great working with them. I'll try to post more soon! Hopefully the internet will cooperate better and I can post more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment